Monday, March 14, 2016

recreating the wonder beverage

I don't have much to say (or the energy to say it), as I've been through the ringer this week! A nasty virus is going around the island, and it's caused me to be without a voice for more than a week. Then came the fever, the chills, the muscle aches, the coughing, sneezing, and aching head!

I finally went to the hospital yesterday and they said I have a sinus infection and an ear infection. Because they could only prescribe medications that I'm allergic to, I've been using every home remedy I can get my hands on to get rid of this nastiness!

Some actually did some good (sea salt gargle, rice bag on the ear, essential oils around the outside of the ear, apple cider vinegar steam inhalation) and others didn't (you probably don't even want to know what some of them were!)

Then I remembered that when we lived in Reno and felt an illness coming on, we'd always run to Pneumatic to pick up a Wonder Beverage. I haven't had one in years, so I'm sure it's not exact, but this is the closest I've come to recreating it here at home. Since Pneumatic has closed its doors, we may never get to have a "real" one again! Regardless, both the original and this variation will provide a kick to the sinuses as well as a honey-laden soothing to the throat.

**Note: You may want to use different amounts of the ingredients to taste!


Ingredients:

  • Glassful of water
  • Fresh ginger, rinsed (powdered will do, but fresh is better if you've got it!)
  • 1/2 Lemon, juiced
  • 1-2 teaspoons raw honey (or manuka honey!)
  • Dash of cayenne pepper 

Directions:
  • Boil the water. While it heats up, peel and cut the ginger. I recommend cutting four-to-five small pieces (about the size of your thumbnail -- just big enough to keep them from floating). Drop the ginger pieces into the bottom of your glass or mug.
  • Once the water is almost at the boiling point, pour it over the ginger pieces. Let it sit for several minutes, just as you would when steeping loose leaf tea.
  • Once the liquid has taken on the color of the ginger, add the juice of half a lemon and a dash of cayenne pepper. (Don't go overboard, as a little cayenne goes a long way!)
  • Remove the ginger pieces (unless you prefer the ginger taste to continually get stronger), add honey to taste, stir it up, sip, and feel better!

No comments: